C-Spine collars.....best for Prehospital use

Pret Bjorn p.bjorn at netzero.net
Sun Aug 17 13:06:21 BST 2008

We don't disagree much here.  But the problem, as you've observed, is mostly
with the habits and choices of providers (application and duration) rather
than the device.  The board is -- as I observe every couple of months on the
list -- just a big freaking splint.

As for all the straps and swaddling and confinement, such serves exclusively
to allow the patient to be safely carried and conveyed.  Hospital beds don't
trip over curbs or hit frost heaves or get rear-ended.

Until you can improve on plastic boards for their discrete indications, then
let's focus on getting the patients on and off them as quickly and safely as
possible.

Pret