Immigrants Deported, by U.S. Hospitals NYTimes

Robert F. Smith rfsmithmd at comcast.net
Mon Aug 11 17:18:27 BST 2008

Bill and Dave,

Yeah, I was just kind of surprised to learn that hospitals were engaged in this transportation activity as I didn't know about it. I guess speaking to my friend in Chicago who's hospital was mentioned it's not uncommon at all depending on your population base. I didn't see it as a right or wrong thing (well the "kidnapping" part didn't seem good) but as kind of a dilemma for those involved. While in theory it seems clear cut, in reality I bet it seems like once you start to provide anything you can seem kind of stuck. You know, you WERE doing this, and you HAVE BEEN doing this, so how to decide exactly when you're NOT going to keep doing it. No good deed goes unpunished. We've apparently had a Chinese man as an in-patient for over two years because administrators closed many of the chronic care beds and there is nowhere, no one and no way to transfer him.

Rob Smith