Sedation for combative patients

msmaltini345 at aol.com msmaltini345 at aol.com
Fri Aug 8 13:32:49 BST 2008

do you carry versed?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jules <jkaymdc at aim.com>
Sent: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 6:24 pm
Subject: Re: Sedation for combative patients

i would also be interested in this information. A week ago I was
involved in
a call for a "trauma" although the individual had driven the pick-up
into
the ditch at a slow speed..no damage to the vehicle. However, the
person was
showing signs of "meth" use (possible OD), had experienced a seizure
and was
at this time extremely violent, swinging at me and LE each time we
attempted
to calm him.

The only medication I had available was Valium...IM of course, which was
like spitting in the wind.

In the end he was tased 5 times, had received a total of 5 valium IM, 5
Valium IV, 4 Ativan IV, and 5 Haldol IM (between pre hospital and
hospital)
before he was controlled.

Suggestions?

Jules