Sedation for combative patients

Jules jkaymdc at aim.com
Thu Aug 7 23:24:27 BST 2008

i would also be interested in this information. A week ago I was involved in
a call for a "trauma" although the individual had driven the pick-up into
the ditch at a slow speed..no damage to the vehicle. However, the person was
showing signs of "meth" use (possible OD), had experienced a seizure and was
at this time extremely violent, swinging at me and LE each time we attempted
to calm him.

The only medication I had available was Valium...IM of course, which was
like spitting in the wind.

In the end he was tased 5 times, had received a total of 5 valium IM, 5
Valium IV, 4 Ativan IV, and 5 Haldol IM (between pre hospital and hospital)
before he was controlled.

Suggestions?

Jules