Sedation for combative patients

Sarah CAllier sarah_callier at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 22:39:35 BST 2008

What is your openion on the sedation of combative patients? I am involved in a protocal commitie for EMS, We are looking at establishing protocals to allow the sedation of combative patients. Pt's that would fit into the catagory for this treatment would be Psychiatric patientswho are violent and pose a threat to themselves to the Police and to EMS providers. We will have strict guidelines for the administration of the medications. We are looking at using Versed Ativan and possibly the use of Droperidol. We are also looking at the possibility of sedation for RSI and for combative trauma patients. Any openions on what is better?