Pelvic fracture

Olav Røise olav.roise at medisin.uio.no
Sat Oct 27 15:26:19 BST 2007

I agree with Ken Mattox. I introduced extrapelvic packing in Oslo in 1994
and it has been part of our pelvic bleeding protocol ever since.

So as the patient is haemodynamically unstable this would be the option in
this case.  First the fracture should be stabilized with the binder or sheet
around the trochanter region and kept in place during the surgical procedure
of damage control.

For the urethral injury I would not have put the catheter in before the
urethra was cleared by an urethra-graphy.  It is known that catheter can put
a partial rupture into a total disruption. I would not focus on the urethra
before the pelvic bleed is under controll.

With regard to the possible rectal injury we are doing a
rectal/sigmoidoscopy to exclude injury. We have seen false negative contrast
exam. of the rectum. This has of low priority and should not be done before
control of the bleed. Eventually a sigmoidotomy shoul be done - keeping in
mind the later reconstruction of the pelvis - and talk to the pelvic surgeon
to avoid incision conflict for later reconstruction of the pelvis

With kind regards,

Olav

Olav Røise

Division of Neuroscience and Muscoloskeletal Medicine, Ullevaal University
Hospital, Oslo

Cellular phone;+4790895062
E-mail;olro at uus.no or; olav.roise at medisin.uio.no