Ideal ED length of stay? (information & communications support)

KMATTOX at aol.com KMATTOX at aol.com
Sat Oct 13 18:18:35 BST 2007

In a message dated 10/13/2007 12:11:37 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Rgross at harthosp.org writes:

Ken,

I am going to have to disagree here, and may God have  mercy!!  ;-)

The FAST will tell you whether the unstable  patient with a pelvic fracture
needs angio or needs to go directly to the  OR.  As I see it, bad fracture with
negative FAST needs angio; unstable  patient with bad fracture and POSITIVE
FAST needs OR, ex-lap, packing and then  angio

I have NO problem in staying in the EC long enough to make a decision as to
just where to go.  No problem.  Most posters on this subject have  agreed that
the protracted LONG times that people stay in the EC when it is  obvious that
they cannot go home is excessive.