Level II sans residents

Ronald Gross Rgross at harthosp.org
Tue Jun 19 16:44:54 BST 2007

Norwalk Hospital (Norwalk, CT) was the first ACS COT verified Level II Trauma Center in CT, and has remained so WITHOUT SURGICAL RESIDENTS.  They have a PA surgical residency program, and as such staff the house with PA-C's that are enrolled in the 1-year surgical PA residency program as well as full time PA-C's that have completed a surgical PA residency program (either home-grown or from elsewhere).

It CAN be done.  It ain't easy - but it can be done.

Best to all,
Ron

>>> "Bjorn, Pret" <pbjorn at emh.org> 6/15/2007 11:03 AM >>>
At Point-Counterpoint (Atlantic City), Dr. Paul Dabrowski (Reading, PA)
presented the topic of Level II Verification without residents.  His
program met ACS requirements with a mixture of employed and stipended
community surgeons, plus a small army of extenders.

I'm thinking this accomplishment cannot be unusual, mostly because WE
did it (employed surgeons and a couple of PA's).  But there must be any
number of models out there, and folks in Bangor would like to know more
about what the rest of the world does.

Are you at an ACS Level II center without a residency?  If so, what's
your staffing construct?  Are you paying for coverage?

All experiences and insights appreciated.

Pret Bjorn
Eastern Maine Medical Center
Bangor, ME USA