EMS management/crush injury

pjcabdds at mchsi.com pjcabdds at mchsi.com
Sun Jun 10 23:00:12 BST 2007

Thanks for the note, Jules. I wish that I could give you more information, but I
suppose it's the only conclusion that can be made: >20 minutes extrication and
two long bone fractures, go to the level 1. Now, I don't know where the two
fractures came from. Perhaps, it's an assumption. I hope to get some info from
UIHC.
If you are calling trauma alerts often and not utilizing them, I hope that such
events are being analyzed. You can do only so many drills. I do know your part
of the state, and was involved in the verification of St.Luke's. Iowa is rural
and similar. But everything may not be the same. Are you 100 miles from your
level 2's? You're right: I would never to past a level 2 to get to a level 3.
With the protocols not ignored in the least, the questions remain: what were the
injuries, what were the indications for
transfer, who has authority for transfer, and what were the benefits and risks
of the management selected. I hope that I will be able to provide these answers
when I can get followup.

--
Kind regards,
Phil