EMS management/crush injury

David Sullivan fpcems at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 10 00:45:18 BST 2007

Without actually being at the scene it is tough to play "monday morning quaterback" I guess the on scene paramedics felt that she needed too be transfered by medivac. Maybe b/c of the time, 30min extrication, transport to ED for eval, then approx 45 min flight to tertiary care, could in theory be about 2 hrs, where extrication time+flight time is approx 75mins.

  dave sullivan BA NREMT/P

Steve Urszenyi <medic.steve at rogers.com> wrote:
  Sounds like a little over-triage was performed. Was the leg injury isolated or was there other trauma? Is your center capable of performing the ortho care (i.e. Microvascular repair, amputation care, etc.), or could that be another factor that went into the triage/transport decision?

My usual caveat of "I wasn't there" may apply. That is, what seems bizzare retrospectively may have made complete sense at the time, given what may have been known or suspected on scene.

Steve Urszenyi
Advanced Care Paramedic/
Tactical Medic
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

[This email has been sent via a Palm Treo 700wx on the Telus Mobility network.]