the modern spleen

SJASMD at aol.com SJASMD at aol.com
Thu Jun 7 16:25:05 BST 2007

In a message dated 6/7/2007 10:02:44 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
shebrain1 at yahoo.com writes:

the  sympathetic left sided pleural effusion is less likely to be the source
of WBC  elevation unless very early empyema is going on. secondary effects of
large  pleural effusion could explained his hypoxia (compression collapse).
But I think with embolization of the main splenic artery, splenic abscess is
likely to be evolving.The HEADQUARTERS of the immune system is attacked.He
will need splenectomy. the sooner is the better.we have a similar case, where
embolization of splenic artery lead to infarction and abscess formation.the
hope to improve with Abx, ended with mortality case.

infarction with midsplenic coiling should be rare. stump pressure usually
about 70mm and should maintain viability. Infarctions are probably not related
to the coiling but to segmental infarction from the trauma. Most of these
patients do well