Preparation for Trauma Elective

Pradeep Navsaria Pradeep.Navsaria at uct.ac.za
Wed Jun 6 09:28:07 BST 2007

Go with an open mind and learn on-site.  This is an experience you will never forget.  You DONOT have to read Mattox at your level.  I suggest you get a copy of Oxford Handbook of Trauma (southern africa) by Nicol and Stein - fits in your pocket - it is practical and comprehensive.

A good decision to do your elective at Bara.  The trauma gurus (demetriades, velmahos) all started at Bara.

Sincerely

PHN
Cape Town
GSH
>>> "Patrick Nicholson" <paddynicholson at gmail.com> 06/06/2007 00:39 >>>
Dear Group -

(This is in the "all questions are good" spirit that somebody mentioned
yesterday!)

I'm a 4th year medical student from Ireland and I'm undertaking an elective
in Trauma Surgery in Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital in Johannesburg this
July, and just realised that (in terms of reading anyways) I'm woefully
underprepared. I'm sure many of the group members have personal preferences
- would anybody like to point me in the direction of a few good articles or
textbooks, be they online or otherwise?

Any other advice or pearls of wisdom also appreciated!

Thanks

Paddy