Trauma Center Verification

Ronald Gross Rgross at harthosp.org
Wed Apr 26 18:53:25 BST 2006

I couldn't agree with you more.  Bottom line is that the verification
process, with all of the negatives thrown at it, benefits the entire
hospital across all services, the staff and, most important, it benefits
the patients that we have been entrusted to care for!

>>> "Bjorn, Pret" <pbjorn at emh.org> 04/26 11:59 AM >>>
My hospital just passed our FIRST Level II verification in December
(Yippee!), and we learned a TON over a full decade of preparation and
improvement.  Our pursuit of verification made us a completely
different and
demonstrably better organization.  We owe much to the College, as do
referring colleagues, and surely our patients.  At every opportunity,
ACS consultants and surveyors were immensely candid, constructive, and
encouraging.  However considerable the stress and anxiety we endured,
it was
by no means the fault of the ACS.  They were outstanding.

I as well am happy to lend whatever help and advice I can (such as it
is) to
friends on the List.  I'd start by suggesting what may only be obvious
one has fully experienced it: that verification must be thought of as
continuous ongoing process, not something you do every three years.

We're aiming to reach a point where our day-to-day operations will
(or at least minimize) the need for survey preparation.  For the most
what the College requires is extremely reasonable and, by definition, a
framework around which to structure a high-performance hospital trauma

Pret Bjorn, RN
Eastern Maine Medical Center Trauma Program