Hypertonic saline

Hardcastle Tim, Dr <tch at sun.ac.za> tch at sun.ac.za
Wed Apr 26 06:02:10 BST 2006

Ken and Steve

There are two currently available HSD's as commercial products for haemorrhagic shock; Rescueflow is 7,5% Saline in Dextran and Hyperhaes is 7,5% Saline in a Pentastarch base. There is no real functional difference between the two, but I would prefer the Hyperhaes as the Dextrans are known to affect coagulation, which the HES does not (recent literature - probably due to the Calcium content.

Tim
Dr T C Hardcastle
M.B.,Ch.B.(Stell); M.Med(Chir); FCS(SA)
Senior Surgeon / Senior Lecturer: Surgery (Trauma and ICU)
ATLS  instructor and DSTC Cape Town Course Director
Intern program Coordinator: Surgery
Program Manager: Emergency Medicine (SU)
Clinical Head (Director): Diana Princess of Wales Trauma Unit
Department of Surgery Room 4064
Tygerberg Hospital / University of Stellenbosch
PO Box 19063
Tygerberg 7505
Western Cape
South Africa