article in the may issue of "Annals of Emergency Medicine"

Tony Joseph tjoseph at ihug.com.au
Sun Apr 23 08:35:58 BST 2006

Dear Caesar
The availability of attending Surgeons is a little dependent on who is on
call.
I don't think that any of the surgeons you have mentioned provide a 24/7
coverage so that while the system may work when they are on call and
in-house, I don;t think it is universal in Sydney or in the rest of
Australia for that matter. The Alfred in Melbourne ( the busiest Trauma
Hospital in Australia) doesn;t have trauma surgeons in house 24/7 last time
I checked,
If a hospital can provide an attending trauma surgeon within 15 mins they
are doing pretty well down here. With the Trauma laparotomy rate at about 5%
for all major trauma cases ( and much less for a thoracotomy) it is
difficult to argue for an in-house Attending trauma surgeon. Perhaps if we
ever managed to consolidate the Trauma services in Sydney to 1 or 2 centres
providing acute Trauma and Surgical care, we may have a chance?
Hope you are well
Regards
Tony Joseph
Sydney