article in the may issue of "Annals of Emergency Medicine"

Ian Civil icivil at xtra.co.nz
Sun Apr 23 04:34:53 BST 2006

Dear Caesar,

Always lurking. I used to be in the hospital on call but feel that with
appropriate teaching of residents and a PGY 7/8 resident physically in the
hospital there is no added benefit for attending presence. I believe the
published US data supports this (bearing in mind to the Auckland 91:9
blunt:penetrating ratio). Prompt availability of attendings in <15 mins is
always available. Same comment applies in relation to education of "general
surgeons" who with DSTC and a range of other educational opportunities can
provide quality trauma care without additional input in all but exceptional
cases. For those exceptional cases, trauma surgeon input is required.
Establishing prospectively what are exceptional cases is the challenge.

Ian Civil
Director of Trauma Services
Auckland City Hospital