are the ed docs taking over?...

joe.nemeth at staff.mcgill.ca joe.nemeth at staff.mcgill.ca
Sat Apr 22 23:56:53 BST 2006

At our institution (level 1 care) half of all trauma leader calls are
taken by emergentologists...

I also am aware of the paucity of lit. regarding the necessity of
surgeon presence in acute trauma care...the lit. is even more
convincing in the pediatric blunt trauma victim...

soooo, having said all of this, let's just agree to agree that there is
more then one way to skin a cat...non-operative trauma patients can be
equally well managed by well trained emergentologists as by trauma
surgeons...(remember, EM residency training is 5 years!! in Canada,
that's 5 years of preparing for just this sort of patient population...

joe
--
Dr. Joe Nemeth
Assistant Professor