article in the may issue of "Annals of Emergency Medicine"

paul.middleton paul.middleton at usa.net
Sat Apr 22 02:56:58 BST 2006

Oh... the American College of Surgeons saying that surgeons are essential...
how surprising! :-) (The smiley face indicates gentle humour, which you
obviously didn't realise from the last post).

As you seem determined to be confrontational, let me try once again to
explain something to you that has been attempted many times before on this
list, although if previous threads are any evidence, the US trauma surgical
fraternity seem to be impervious to the concept of understanding even the
existence of any system other than their own...

In many countries, in fact by far the majority, trauma centres such as you
have there in the USA JUST DO NOT EXIST, or at best there may be only two or
three per country!! There often are just no hospitals with dedicated trauma
teams that even include, let alone are led by or composed of trauma
surgeons. Regarding your fatuous comment about making some choice to take my
family to an institution where the surgeons are on call from home, just try
for a moment to think outside the box you are in and imagine living in a
country (and I am talking about first-world places like the UK, Australia,
New Zealand and many others) where THE ONLY CHOICE is a hospital with this
arrangement. When you say they shouldn't be seeing trauma patients, then
where should they go? I'll just have a chat to ambulance control here in
Sydney shall I, and ask them to divert to Houston, New York, Boston.?

And trying for a moment to disregard your lack of collegial respect for
another, often similarly experienced and knowledgeable group of
professionals, and to explain some simple facts a little more clearly for
you, in most of the world it would NOT BE YOU standing over the patient
"taking care of them from the minute they hit the door" it would be the
emergency physician. And often it is THEIR years of experience in dealing
with major trauma, not "scrapes, contusions and isolated broken bones" that
allows them to diagnose underlying pathologies, assess those who need
intervention and then persuade reluctant non-trauma surgeons to intervene.
You may have to be a surgeon to treat surgical disease, but you do not have
to be a surgeon to diagnose surgical disease, and to assume that training in
wielding cutlery confers some extraordinary added ability to read, learn,
practice and apply knowledge to perform the process of diagnosis is
condescending, arrogant and obtuse.

As I have no copy of the May issue of J Trauma as yet, and it is not
available electronically, I have not had a chance to read the offending
article, but one thing does spring to mind. The abstract provided by the
list member stated that "There is not compelling evidence to support the
assumption that trauma outcomes are improved by the routine presence of
surgeons on patient arrival". It seems to me that what is therefore needed
is to show this evidence exists.

Ken Mattox said "I would be honored and delighted to respond to each of
these comments, when the evidence to support these statements is produced.
My impression, as weak as it might be is just the opposite". If I may
paraphrase what Eric Frykberg is so fond of saying on this list, it is not
up to any scientist to disprove the utility or efficacy of an intervention,
including the presence of trauma surgeons on arrival of a patient, it is up
to the proponents of the intervention to show its benefit. So rather than
falling back on more Eminence Based Medicine, I look avidly forward to being
shown the references for those well designed, controlled, hopefully
randomised, well-powered studies that prove the point at question.

Let's also see if we can indulge in this discussion without further
disrespect to others (although again, rudeness seems to be an acceptable
standard on here so I have little hope)!

Paul

:-) (Smiley face again - it means I'm still smiling at least!)

Dr Paul M Middleton

RGN MBBS FRCS(Eng) DipIMCRCS(Ed) FFAEM FACEM

Emergency Physician

Sydney

Australia