Muscle relaxant in the filed and helicopters

Lamb, Keith D. KLamb at Christianacare.org
Wed Apr 19 19:50:53 BST 2006

What? I didn't understand one thing you just said. Sorry.....maybe it's me
but I don't see how any of this relates to the use of NMB.
What is thoracic apnea? I like the good old fashioned apnea where the
patient stops breathing and the passage of an airway is (theoretically)
easier to accomplish. Apnea is a "desired" result of the use of NMB.

I also don't understand your "dose" comment.

I "think" that one of the biggest concerns about the use of muscle relaxants
pre-hospital is what do they do if they cant facilitate an appropriate
airway after the patient is relaxed. What if they cant maintain a patent
airway and BVM the patient after the relaxant. Then they (pre-hospital
personnel) would have to do the same thing that we would do in-hospital, and
put a hole in the patients neck.

Problem is of course that it is much more difficult to find a surgeon in the
back of an ambulance.

Keith