Antibiotics for pelvic fracture

Doug Condit Jr thoracicsurgpa at msn.com
Wed Apr 19 00:38:30 BST 2006

One of the reasons for the increase in C. diff we are seeing is the significant use of h2 blockers & protein pump inhibitors.
~doug~

  It's also important to note that increasing rates of pmem colitis as a direct result of anti-biotics offsetting colon bacteria balance has not been proven in all anti-biotics. From what I know, clinical trials have already found such phenomena in the more synthetic a-b families such as cephalosporins and quinolones, but the older and slightly "simpler" families such as penicillins and tetracyclines still remain relatively clean, or atleast uncited. Just my 2 cents. :-)

    -Mike F

  Ben Reynolds <aneurysm_42 at yahoo.com<mailto:aneurysm_42 at yahoo.com>> wrote:
    Avi:

  Actually a single dose isn't without significant
  morbidity anymore even if your concern isn't about
  breeding resistance (which should be a concern no
  matter the length of antibiotic use). In general
  we've seen a tremendous spike in resisitant C. diff
  among our patients but we've recently had a wave
  several surgical patients at my institution develop
  resistant C. diff colitis after a SINGLE dose of
  Ancef. One neurosurgical spine patient went on to
  become toxic and required a total colectomy.

  Ben Reynolds, PA-C
  Pittsburgh, PA