JCAHO REQ: Locked meds in ED

Howard, Dot DotHoward at mhd.com
Tue Apr 18 18:19:53 BST 2006

Need help with this one. Having been cited by JCAHO for not having
either all meds locked up in Omnicell or having a pharmacist review each
med before it is given, we are now faced with dilemma trying to meet
JCAHO rules. As we just had a trauma patient who needed a rapid
intubation, we had a delay due to the nurse having to go out of the room
to the Omnicell and pull meds, this also complicated by the fact that
the patient arriving by ambulance is "not in the computer" so a trauma
patient number has to be generated ( taking more time) before the order
can even be entered. Result : delays in care to a patient due to lack of
ready access to Rapid Sequence Meds.

Options that have been considered... 1) small Omnicell in each room but
cost prohibited ( $20,000 per room)or 2) having a fanny pack for nurse
with drugs- pharmacy says that is prohibited by JCAHO, 3) have
pharmacist stationed 24/7 in ED ( cost prohibited) .

Surely others are having this issue as well, where JCAHO 's desire for
safety may be in conflict with an emergency patient's needs.

Your recommendations would be appreciated. Than ks

This electronic transmission contains information from Methodist Health
System and should be considered confidential and privileged.  The
information contained in the above messages is intended only for the
use of the individual(s) and entity(ies) named above.  If you are not
the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this information is prohibited. If you receive
this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail.  Methodist Health System, its subsidiaries and
affiliates hereby claim all applicable privileges related to the
transmission of this communication.