Antibiotics for pelvic fracture

Michael Ferker xg2k2 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 18:06:37 BST 2006

It's also important to note that increasing rates of pmem colitis as a direct result of anti-biotics offsetting colon bacteria balance has not been proven in all anti-biotics. From what I know, clinical trials have already found such phenomena in the more synthetic a-b families such as cephalosporins and quinolones, but the older and slightly "simpler" families such as penicillins and tetracyclines still remain relatively clean, or atleast uncited. Just my 2 cents. :-)

  -Mike F

Ben Reynolds <aneurysm_42 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Avi:

Actually a single dose isn't without significant
morbidity anymore even if your concern isn't about
breeding resistance (which should be a concern no
matter the length of antibiotic use). In general
we've seen a tremendous spike in resisitant C. diff
among our patients but we've recently had a wave
several surgical patients at my institution develop
resistant C. diff colitis after a SINGLE dose of
Ancef. One neurosurgical spine patient went on to
become toxic and required a total colectomy.

Ben Reynolds, PA-C
Pittsburgh, PA