PHTLS, Ground EMS, Air EMS, Chest Tubes

stefmazur at ausdoctors.net stefmazur at ausdoctors.net
Mon Apr 17 11:33:09 BST 2006

This case raises some of the issues that have been discussed earlier.

If the patient "needed" the chest tube for helicopter retrieval then placing it into the liver wouldn't have alleviated that need.  So can we presume that a second chest tube was placed in the appropriate cavity?

If the second chest tube wasn't placed (and the patient suffered no serious consequences of this not occuring) then it would appear the patient didn't need the chest tube in the first place and the first one shouldn't have been attempted at all.

A little more patient info might add some light (?petrol) to the discussion of this case/scenario.

Stefan

Stefan Mazur
MBChB FACEM