Pros and Cons of Prehospital Intubation

Michael Ferker xg2k2 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 16 20:41:50 BST 2006

I'd have to say that prior to coming onto this list, I've held the opinion that intubation by EMTs is an extremely important pre-hospital procedures. However, after readings accounts and testimonials from many of the people on this list, most recently those of Drs. Danks and Mattox, I've begun to ponder whether intubation by people that for whatever reason may not be adequately trained, or even equipped in terms of actual physical devices and working environment, may do more harm than good.

  I know that we've discussed this topic up and down for many months now, but I was wondering whether any empirical studies have been done recently on morbidity and mortality rates as a result of improper intubatin, as compared to successful pre-hosp intubations that saved lives. My university provides grants for honors research projects, and so I thought that this may be an interesting topic for me to research and write about. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions would be highly appreciated.

  -Mike F