Prophylactic antibiotics

Michael Ferker xg2k2 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 16 13:19:26 BST 2006

I believe I've gotten a similar impression from the discussion. In cases where there is a low likelihood of potentially-contaminating structure ruptures, standard irrigating procedures apply. In cases where there is a higher likelihood of the aforementioned event, such as in large or spread projectile wounds, crush trauma, or difficult impalement, a careful prophylactic dose of ABs is a rather safe option that minimizes perioperative infection, although we're not aware of any in vitro studies that prove the ABs make a particularly tremendous difference in specifically preventing severe sepsis.

  -Mike F

Krin135 at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 15-Apr-06 12:12:19 Central Daylight Time, ben