PHTLS, Ground EMS, Air EMS, Chest Tubes

KMATTOX at aol.com KMATTOX at aol.com
Sun Apr 16 04:53:21 BST 2006

In a message dated 4/15/2006 10:51:02 P.M. Central Standard Time,
Krin135 at aol.com writes:

roydanks at hotmail.com writes:

Just 3  days ago at our level  I trauma center, a patient transferred from
the
scene  had a chest  tube placed in the helicopter...into the liver.

Timely,   huh?

Was this iatrogenic trauma reviewed by the Trauma program M&M  .   Most
helicopter operatoins in the US are OUTSIDE the Trauma  Service review.  Their
complications are brieftly presented to the EMS  helicopter director and reported
to the ED director, not the surgical trauma  director.    Or at least that is
what I have found in some  hospitals that I am aware of and have surveyed