Antibiotics for pelvic fracture

Michael Ferker xg2k2 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 21:18:17 BST 2006

It's actually written in textbooks that in the case of penetrating pelvic trauma, antibiotics should be administered prior to interventional surgery. This is due to the actual sepsis often being caused by the pt's own bowel aerobes and anaerobes. Infact, I believe the WHO also has a listing on proper surgical prophylaxis at:
  http://mednet3.who.int/eml/disease_factsheet.asp?diseaseId=347

  I'm still a student, and so I apologize if my evidence or explanations for my positions were inadequate. But as has been mentioned by several other people here, research does exist on the benefit of pre-surgical prophylaxis to the extent that it is a commonly taught practice that whenever there is surgical intervention in the lower-abdominal/pelvic area, anti-septic prophylaxis should always be provided, with anti-biotics being the appropriate course of action. I believe that research on the safety of prophylactic doses of ABs on gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria that cause sepsis is already available on the list.

  -Mike F

docrickfry at aol.com wrote:
  It did--and again, no study has ever shown to my knowledge that prophylactic antibiotics around the time of surgery at all reduced the incidence of pelvic sepsis or peripelvic infectious complications as was claimed
ERF