Antibiotics for pelvic fracture

Krin135 at aol.com Krin135 at aol.com
Fri Apr 14 17:08:04 BST 2006

In a message dated 14-Apr-06 10:53:47 Central Daylight Time,  xg2k2 at yahoo.com

This is  what I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to prove so far. From the
research I've  read, there is compelling evidence that states a prophylactic dose
of an  antibiotic such as azithromycin has a considerably decreased chance of
 establishing resistance for gram-positive bacteriae if given for less than
about 5 days. Statistically, a very large amount of pathogens responsible in
operative infections are staph., strep, and over 50% of all difficult sepsis
cases have been caused by gram-positive bacteriae.

I remember that back in the 1998-99 time  frame, a group of surgical and gyn
residents at LSU Shreveport did a prospective  double blinded study on
antibiotic prophylaxis in pelvic surgery and found  that one dose of Mefoxitin given
during the operation significantly reduced post  operative Gram NEGATIVE
infections. This was the subject of at least one poster  presentation to an ACOG
meeting about that time, as one of the lead  researchers, a PGIV OB/GYN resident
was our chief OB resident at  the time  and he took a week off for the
Charles S. Krin, DO  FAAFP