In regards to EMS intubation issues

Robert Smith rfsmithmd at comcast.net
Tue Apr 11 19:07:43 BST 2006

Ben,

I was curious if you have a background in law. Actually I've always wondered
what a PA-C is. You always sound very knowledgeable on a variety of topics.

It is probably just my ignorance but I'm unfamiliar with some of the
language and/or concepts in your post. I couldn't find them in the EMTALA
statute or regs. Maybe you could point me in the right direction.

I'm not familiar with "prescribing a course of care" and therefore I'm
unclear how I would see it to finality. ( I'd like to be able to prescribe
that all my patients get better )

I am familiar with the concept of the transferring physician still being
responsible for the patient until the patient arrives at the receiving
facility. This helps prevent dumping, the original intent of the statute.
I'm not familiar with the transferring physician being responsible until the
receiving physician physically encounters the patient or even what that
would mean. What if the receiving physician is not present when the patient
arrives? Went home; went to the OR etc. What if nurses or non-physicians are
the first to see the patient and initiate treatment? What if they
inappropriately triage the patient to a non-treatment area?

I'm not familiar with physicians and nurses being commonly successfully sued
for good Samaritan actions.

There is extensive language in EMTALA regarding responsibility for care
and/or transport of patients seen in outlying clinics or centers which are
part of a larger campus, with regard to the parent institution. I'm unsure
how this would relate to freestanding urgent care centers. Having called EMS
I don't know how much authority the on site physician would or should have
once the EMS providers have arrived and assumed care under the license of
their medical control agent. This also relates to Mike's post. Medics can't
be expected to function effectively if they are supposed to take "orders"
from any Joe Blow who claims to be a physician.

R. Smith, MD