Delayed colonic perforation in blunt abdominal trauma

Hardcastle Tim, Dr <tch at sun.ac.za> tch at sun.ac.za
Tue Apr 11 13:50:43 BST 2006

DB

Please quote me the reference for routine prophylactic antibiotics in the case of a pelvic fracture - I've looked extensively at EAST, Surgicalcriticalcare.net and various other articles and don't find this justified. For an OPEN (i.e. "compound") fracture - yes, otherwise NO!

Please enlighten us
Tim
Dr T C Hardcastle
M.B.,Ch.B.(Stell); M.Med(Chir); FCS(SA)
Senior Surgeon / Senior Lecturer: Surgery (Trauma and ICU)
ATLS  instructor and DSTC Cape Town Course Director
Intern program Coordinator: Surgery
Program Manager: Emergency Medicine (SU)
Clinical Head (Director): Diana Princess of Wales Trauma Unit
Department of Surgery Room 4064
Tygerberg Hospital / University of Stellenbosch
PO Box 19063
Tygerberg 7505
Western Cape
South Africa