Primary splenectomy for major splenic injury?

Karim Brohi karim at trauma.org
Tue Apr 11 04:22:51 BST 2006

Recently there have been a few reports of significant complication rates and long hospital stays from non-operative management of
the more severe grades of splenic injury (I'm thinking mainly of David Feliciano's review at the AAST).

So as a general question - should we be retuning to primary splenectomy in the patient who would otherwise be suitable for
non-operative management but who has a major splenic injury (and what would you class as major)?

Karim