Prehospital Care

Moore, Rick Rick.Moore at TriadHospitals.com
Mon Apr 10 20:06:16 BST 2006

I agree that RN's and Paramedics are not interchangeable without each
having some additional training. I am one of the rare birds that
actually became a nurse first, then worked up from EMT-B to LP. In fact
I have long believed that being a nurse does not make me be a better
paramedic, but being a paramedic does help make a better nurse. I take
exception to the statement that most RN's do not know how to manage an
airway. Most (critical care) RN's are taught airway management in
required card courses such as ACLS/PALS/TNCC/CATN, etc. Most hospitals
don't allow the RN's to intubate citing insurance and liability reasons,
not lack of training. Yet we have to keep up these skills to recert the
card courses every 2-4 years. I was lucky enough to begin my career in a
small rural hospital here in Texas and each RN and LVN on staff was
capable of managing airways, including intubation. Not to mention being
covered by standing orders to perform the skills in the physicians
absence. In fact 90% of the intubation that occurred in that facility
was performed by a nurse or paramedic.

Rick Moore, RN/LP
Trauma Coordinator
College Station Medical Center
1604 Rock Prairie Rd
College Station, TX   77845
(979) 680-5314 office
(979) 228-2852 pager
(979) 764-5279 fax
rick.moore at triadhospitals.com

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain PRIVILEGED or
CONFIDENTIAL information and may be read or used only by the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail or any of
its attachments, please be advised that you have received this e-mail in
error and that any use, dissemination, distribution, forwarding,
printing, or copying of this e-mail or any attached files is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately purge it and all attachments and notify the sender by reply
e-mail or contact the sender at the number listed.