Prehospital Care

Statman2500 at aol.com Statman2500 at aol.com
Mon Apr 10 18:03:38 BST 2006

The "My job is harder than your job." line is getting so old.  No, ER nurses
cannot function in the field....they have no training in that regards.  Yes
paramedics can work in a ER, but they are not needed for airway management or
chest tube placement.  They are needed for IVs, blood collection,
foleys,...would be a great second hand at Triage or in a major room.  And you are all
correct that some (most) RNs cannot properly manage an airway.  It is not taught in
nursing schools.  And with the type of people we are drawing to the nursing
field due to the explosion of salaries, they will not take the initiative to
learn how to mange an airway.....hell, how many times has the nurse put somebody
in restraints for becoming combative, and then the pt codes because he AMS due
to hypoxia, and the nurse failed to assess.

    I will say this... the best ER RN's I have worked with were previously
Paramedics with street experience.