Clamp the the chest tube?

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Mon Apr 10 16:19:39 BST 2006

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Charles Brault wrote:

> > While i can't speak to your neck of the woods, in New York we left this
> > behind in the late '80s. In fact, until the NYFD borged our EMS, our
> > EMT-Ps (and often our "EMTPYs" [awful emts] were pretty close to actually
> > practicing independent medicine. Where are *you* that scoop and run is
> > still the norm?
>
>   NY A MESS

I don't know if this is true *today*, as I no longer live there, however,
my many friends claim that the mess got considerably worse when fire took
over EMS.

This is counterintuitive since they also claim that the "Independent,
unsupervised and rogue EMT was the norm under EMS, and has been reined in
under Fire Rescue".  Anyone from NY EMS/Fire here to comment?

>   Is a huge out of control beast
>   (Is LA much better ?)
>
>   To further dilute medical control in this sea of EMTs
>   Is the incessant barrage of Politics, human misery, unions, inequalities, fund shortages, professional turf wars, the mere humongousness of the place... etc. etc.
>
>   Medical direction ?

This has *always* been a problem in NY.  Conversely, just getting medical
care at all is a problem in NY.

>   Second floor, third door on your left, next to the out of service bathrooms
>   But their's nobody their
>
>   They are all gone for counseling ))))
>
>   NY EMS is in perpetual crisis
>   This, has kind of taken it's toll on the quality of care

QOC by NY EMS is a lot like QOC by an NY MD: it varies by practitioner.  I
know a few medics whom I'd feel safer with than a few MDs I've known,
while conversely, there are some senior folks whom I'd not trust to treat
my goldfish.  Painting *any* service, whether EMS, Fire Rescue,
Hospital-X, etc., with an overly broad brush is always a bad thing.

>   ... The voluntary hospitals do not seem to have that problem though

Could you explain this further?  I don't understand what you are alluding
to here.

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org
0xBD4A95BF

'The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments
it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest
limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of
the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext
whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the
brink of destruction.'

St. George Tucker