PHTLS, Ground EMS, Air EMS, Chest Tubes

Roy Danks roydanks at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 10 03:36:27 BST 2006

I've followed this thread long enough now to feel as if I can add something.

As a trauma surgeon with extensive EMS experience, I must side with Dr.
Mattox.

EMT's/Paramedics and Flight RNs have no business putting in chest tubes.

This is the trauma algorithm:

Step 1: Load the patient

Step 2: Transport the patient

Step 3:  Maintain the airway, give some oxygen, etc during transport.

Helicopters are fast, flying billboards for hospital systems (by and large).
  At least one study has refuted the "Golden Hour" concept.  Many studies
have shot down the concept that air transport "saves lives by saving time"
(in trauma).

Don't get me wrong:  I love EMS and medics.  I think they are doing a
terrific job under difficult circumstances, but I simply cannot support
advanced procedures in the field.  And, it's not because I don't think
they're capable.  It's unneccessary.  EMS was developed for the delivery of
cardiac care.  I am convinced it has a role for this.  I'm less convinced of
it's role in trauma.  Spine and fracture immobilization, oxygen, airway
control, etc: YES.  Advanced Procedures: NO.

RD