PHTLS, Ground EMS, Air EMS, Chest Tubes

KMATTOX at aol.com KMATTOX at aol.com
Mon Apr 10 01:33:27 BST 2006

PHTLS, does not teach you to load and go and NOT do any other
treatment. It DOES teach you to get on the road asap and treat enroute.
I have always questioned if this continued "interpretation" of load and
go is somehow connected to one's lack of confidence in skills being
performed in the back of moving ambulances...i.e..IVs, airway
management, etc?

Regardless, the point is, treat enroute to  definitive care (Trauma
Center I or II in Iowa). And as per the topic of  this thread as it
began, never have know a medic to place a chest tube, in  my state, and
certainly have not ever seen it taught in PHTLS, oh these  many, many
years.

Jules

What I do not understand is the tremendous variations among EMS systems
despite the PHTLS.    For example, the only, ONLY advantage of  air EMS over
ground EMS is that it flys to remote, wilderness, and high rise  locations.   AIR
ems is still EMS, and should be under the same  scrutiny as ground EMS.   Yet
there is some urban legend that air ems  is a higher level of care than ground
EMS.   The opposite is probably  more correct.

In my continuing view NEITHER air or ground EMS should be putting in chest
tubes or putting needles into the chest.