Clamp the the chest tube?

jkaymdc at aim.com jkaymdc at aim.com
Mon Apr 10 01:21:50 BST 2006

Having just spent the weekend teaching PHTLS, Ashton is correct,
obviously since he quoted the book. What it means to load and go is one
of the "discussions" we in every PHTLS class I have ever taught over
these many years.

PHTLS, does not teach you to load and go and NOT do any other
treatment. It DOES teach you to get on the road asap and treat enroute.
I have always questioned if this continued "interpretation" of load and
go is somehow connected to one's lack of confidence in skills being
performed in the back of moving ambulances...i.e..IVs, airway
management, etc?

Regardless, the point is, treat enroute to definitive care (Trauma
Center I or II in Iowa). And as per the topic of this thread as it
began, never have know a medic to place a chest tube, in my state, and
certainly have not ever seen it taught in PHTLS, oh these many, many
years.

   Jules

Julie K. Scadden, NREMT-P, PS
Iowa

Be your own work of art.
Cultivate friends, passions, a distinctive style.
Learn, dare, and grow.