Clamp the the chest tube?

Ashton Treadway napthene at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 00:47:21 BST 2006

Howdy:

At least in /my/ neck of the woods, we're being trained and taught to
view the nearest trauma center as definitive care for trauma: any
intervention (IV, etc) beyond gaining control of the airway waits
until we're rolling (or flying), with the obvious caveats for delayed
extrications and the like.

>From my Revised Fifth Edition of PHTLS (ISBN-13 978-0-323-02744-1), page 75:

"If life-threatening conditions are identified during the primary
survey, the patient should be rapidly packaged after initiating
limited field intervention. Transport of critically injury [sic]
patients to the closest appropriate facility should be initiated as
soon as possible (Box 3-2). Unless extenuating circumstances exist,
the provider should limit the scene time to 10 minutes or less for
these patients. The provider must realize that limiting scene time and
initiation of rapid transport to the closest appropriate facility,
preferably a trauma center, are fundamental aspects of prehospital
trauma resuscitation."

My $.02 from Northern California.

Ashton