Clamp the the chest tube in an EMS placed chest tube

Clive Leach clive at cdleach.wanadoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 9 17:51:30 BST 2006

Where do paramedics come from  in the U S A ? The best movie I watched was One Flew Over The Cockoos Nest !

Regards Clive

Message Received: Apr 07 2006, 10:29 PM
From: "Andrew J Bowman"
Subject: Re: Re: Clamp the the chest tube in an EMS placed chest tube

The last time I saw a medic "needle a chest" it was an awake and alert
patient with SOB, normal blood pressure and no other documented signs of
tension pneumo. Victim of car crash.

After the attempt the medic reported the patient "felt much better"

In ED patient did not have a pneumothorax and the needle track was confined
to the chest wall muscles, did not even reach the pleural cavity (cool CT
picture though of the needle air track angling AWAY from the pleural space).

Fortunately did not cause pt to have a pneumo but so much for the
prehospital care.

Pt probably told medic he felt better because he was afraid of getting
stabbed again.

Andrew Bowman