Prehospital Care

Mike MacKinnon mmackinnon at cox.net
Sun Apr 9 07:29:03 BST 2006

Steve

Get real.

I was a medic in Canada (P3) and a Nurse. Now an RN/Medic in the USA. I
never did anything as a medic near what I do as an RN, ever. Paramedic
education is highly specific to a very narrow scope of practice while RN
education (4 years science degree in Canada) is intentionally general
coverage of everything allowing the individual to specialize with a strong
science background. In the pre hospital setting I do much more than the
medics. Everything a medic can do is in the scope of practice of an RN while
the reverse is not true.

If there was a logical choice for a midrange person in hospital (when there
are no PAs or NPs available) it would clearly be an RN not a paramedic. RNs
would be used to the inner workings as well as the ER presentations,
treatments and knowledge base to make decisions.

A wise man once told my when I was an EMT (P1) planning to be a medic
shooting off my mouth how easy it looked "Son, you don't know what you don't
know.". Steve, your a paramedic looking in and making judgements without the
education or experience of a critical care RN.

Mike M