Prehospital Care

Steve Urszenyi medic.steve at rogers.com
Sun Apr 9 06:56:42 BST 2006

Snippet from Andrew Bowman's post:

<< An added benefit would be the occasional procedure (ETT, central line,
etc) under the tutelage of an ED doc to give tips and tricks. >>

I few years back I was hired with about 3 or 4 other medics by a local
community hospital here in Toronto that wanted to create an ER Paramedic
position. The goal was to augment the physician staff with ALS paramedics to
assist in the Fast Track part of the ER. The very progressive-minded ER
director (an ER MD) envisioned us performing a pseudo Physician's Assistant
role. But guess what the biggest stumbling block was? The nurses' union.
They screamed blue murder that medics in the ER should not be able to do
anything above the skill set of the RNs. Never mind the fact that I do just
that every day out on the road where my skill set far exceeds anything they
are trained or permitted to perform. The program lasted around 8 months and
was then canceled. Oh well.

Steve Urszenyi