Clamp the the chest tube in an EMS placed chest tube

oded private tangentcarrot at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 8 22:55:31 BST 2006

I have heard of a case that may qulifay. It was presented to us by a trauma
surgeon. who was not part of it.

>From what I remember (It was about two years ago):
Young man,  shot in the neck (assualt rifle). Intubated (why? expanding
hematoma/low GCS. Don't remember. Anyhow, O2 Sat. was good before
intubation- that I do remember) by the first crew, than the tube pulled out,
later attempts by aircrew failed, so they went to cricothyroidotomy, and it
all took quite a long time. Being so busy with his A, they weren't to
vigilant about his B and C deteriorating, and once the airway was secured
they took off, he died enroute/in the hospital (not sure). Post mortem CT
showed large collection of interpleural air and a mediastinal shift.
Again- I'm not sure about the details, but the point remains. You might take
it to the other extreme- with no field managment in the first place, maybe
he would have made to the hospital soon enough to be chest tubed in trauma
room (I think the time it would take him to get there "scoop&run" style
would be 35-60 minutes from injury)