Clamp the the chest tube in an EMS placed chest tube

Krin135 at aol.com Krin135 at aol.com
Sat Apr 8 22:01:54 BST 2006

In a message dated 08-Apr-06 15:40:28 Central Daylight Time,  KMATTOX at aol.com
writes:

In a  message dated 4/8/2006 1:47:33 P.M. Central Standard Time,
Krin135 at aol.com writes:

Then you  and Rick will be willing to  testify Pro Bono for the  defense if
an

outlying trauma case with  a suspicious chest injury does NOT  get a  chest
tube
by an  appropriately trained crew and the patient dies  enroute  to the
receiving trauma facility, having bypassed one or  more small  town
facilities (with
ED docs who have a better   armamentarum available than the crew)  which are
NOT
trauma   centers?

I would be happy to review such a case, if and when  such a case is produced
and it falls into the data that you  cite.   Quite honestly, I have not  seen
or heard of such a  case in military or civilian practice in the past
several
decades.   I HAVE seen a significant number of IATROGENIC  (and  even FATAL)
complications caused by such insertion if needles  and tubes in the
ambulance,
helicopter, and non trauma center  personnel.

Understood, and we have discussed those in the past...including  the (mis)
use of trocar introducers.

Thank you for being willing to stand behind your position. It  has helped
some in the past when I was working out in rural areas to be able to  quote
you...not that the residents at the trauma center wanted to believe that a  small
town doc might have actually know something because he had learned it 'at  the
knee' of one of the more prolific authors on Trauma Surgery...Similarly for
Rick and Errington...

ck

Charles S. Krin, DO  FAAFP