Tension Pneumo and King LMA

benjamin.thelen at us.army.mil benjamin.thelen at us.army.mil
Sat Apr 8 14:17:52 BST 2006

Hello, I am a combat medic currently serving in Iraq with an infantry unit. First, as far as treating a possible tension pneumothorax is concerned, our unit's policy is that if you believe there may be one, treat it with a simple needle chest decompression. We have no access to X-Ray or other tools in the field, and evacuating a casualty can be anywhere from a wait of 10 minutes to several hours. My experience is that on average you will wait for approximately 45 minutes before the patient leaves the scene of injury. We use a needle chest decompression based on essentially MOI and breath sounds. Even if you do one and it turns out it was unnecessary, you haven't created anything that isn't easily solved with duct tape in the field. Second, I have a question pertaining to the King LMA. We do not carry them with us, but have heard of them. Our tool of choice for airway here is the Combitube or field expiedent surgical cric. Does the King LMA warrant a try for trauma patients in
 a field setting? Is it an easy tool train people on with nothing more than a mannequin? How does it work with trauma to the face or oropharyx? We are always looking for new tools or procedures to save lives. Any input on this or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

                                Ben
EMT-B, 91W, PHTLS(I)