Clamp the the chest tube in an EMS placed chest tube

Charles Brault c_brault at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 8 11:26:25 BST 2006

docrickfry at aol.com wrote:  That's when in the hospital Pret--review the ATLS manual and see if you see a single word or patient scenario in which the patient should or did get such intervention in the field. I actually would not have any problem with doing a needle in the field for a clinical diagnosis of a true tension PTX with shock--the problem is, it never happens--needles are stuck all over patients (I had one in the liver a few weeks ago) because of reasons like "I couldn't hear good breath sounds" or "he complained of difficulty breathing" or "he had a bruise on his chest" etc all with normal vital signs. There seems no control over the criteria used for needling in the field and surprisingly little understanding of why they are or should be doing this. In reading posts on this list over a few years, such seems true everywhere.
ERF
  Hey if we removed form usefull medical interventions all the acts carreid out by clueless MDs you guys would be selling apples))))))

  Actually a few existing studies and countless more would be very good/better at identifying wich MDs, wich circumstances these acts should be barred or subject to a targeted credentialisation process.

  Just like with the medics
  But obviously
  With more bias in favor of the credentializing (real or symbolic) than the simple barring

  Not a conspiracy
  Just simle honest human/tribal nature))))

  Charles