Clamp the the chest tube?

Mike MacKinnon mmackinnon at cox.net
Sat Apr 8 03:59:17 BST 2006

 Since you asked.....

56 y/o man with GSW to right side of chest. Shotgun, more specifically. Pt
has no breath sounds on the right and multiple entrance wounds from pellets.
Pt with severe difficulty breathing do to tension hemo. Chest tube inserted,
pt breathing much better. (one of many examples of hemos large enough to
kill especially at altitude in regards to boyles law)

Happens all the time Dr. Mattox. Long transport times where patients are
severly injured and need a completely justifiable chest tube.

The ones placed (very seldom) always goto QA and CQI. We have never had one
that, in the opinion of the receiving trauma surgeon, our med directors and
seasoned flight crews (oh and the alive patient) that wasn't justified.

Now, back to the original question. Is there any reason to EVER clamp a
chest tube? Im not aware of any at all.

Mike M.