Prehospital Care

Mike MacKinnon mmackinnon at cox.net
Sat Apr 8 00:30:46 BST 2006

Hey

Another change which has been sweeping ems is centralized medical director
as opposed to base hospitals. What a bad idea. These docs are hired by the
county to have a phone and take calls. They have direct reimbursement for
service and often no interaction with the service the act as medical control
for. Its horrible. Essentially, you end up with a Dial-A-Doc who has no
vested interest as a stake holder in the EMS service. At least base
hospitals see whats coming in and can identify learning objectives and CQI,
this doesn't happen with independent and centralized med control. I see A
LOT swept under the table. Its frustrating as a paramedic and its
frustrating as an RN on the receiving side in hospital or on the aircraft.

Mike MacKinnon CEN CFRN BSN RN
"If we really are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast and cheap!"
mmackinnon at cox.net