Rescue Airway Techniques

Ben Reynolds aneurysm_42 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 12:41:54 BST 2006

What Charles said:  "...These studies suffer or are
vulnerable to their...initial motivation (MD driven)
As to the way they are singular in their conclusion...
make the Medic less competent..."

Charles also said:  "...As the inquisition was
concerned (the spanish one)...It was very clear
that...The power laid in WHO was posing the
questions..."

My interpretation:  That Charles believes or assumes
that these studies are just another tool in an
accumulating box of bias physicians are building
against prehospital care providers putting their
incompetence on display.

My refutation:  That Charles assumptions and beliefs
are based on a visceral reaction without fully
comprehending what the authors of these papers are
trying to convey, content flaws not withstanding.
That in fact the message ISN'T that the paramedic or
EMT is incompetent or incapable, but that there may be
something outside of the simple technical act of
intubating a patient in the field which is leading to
poorer outcomes independent of the providers technical
abilities or judgment which isn't well understood.

If my interpretation is wrong, I apologize.

What exactly were you trying to say?

Ben Reynolds, PA-C
Pittsburgh, PA