Rescue Airway Techniques

JanyaUC at aol.com JanyaUC at aol.com
Fri Apr 7 05:44:46 BST 2006

that didn't drain my shield too much at all... ;-)

your last paragraph surprised me. i in no way think you should just tube
everyone...
but if you are clearly not breathing/barely breathing or about to stop
breathing in the field..whether due to inj from trauma or just medical
problems....why not tube or use another type of airway securing device. do you  propose
these pts get bvm'd the whole way to me?
regardless of the pts injuries...is your first priority not to secure an
airway?

"What you believe to be such
common sense is, in fact likely KILLING  many of your
patients!"

there...

i was going to respond specifically to several of your comments but i just
keep coming back to the same thing......there's a reason why you need ABC's
without them nothing else matters.

in my years in the icu and e.r. i have only ONCE known for sure that a pt
died as a result of an esophogeal intubation. and that pt was intubated by a Dr.
 in the er before being shipped to us. that same Dr read the post intubation
xray  and got it wrong. how do i know this..a copy was sent with the pt. many
errors  occurred leading this pt to code enroute to  *my* trauma room.   this
20yr old's death is one of those that will never leave me...so please don't
think that i take any of what i discuss lightly or flippantly.

all that being said i'm a firm believer in the saying ...keep it  simple
stupid....

does the pt have a good airway??? if not get one!!
is the pt breathing??? if no the do it for them and please don't tell me
that bvm is sufficient

i'm up to 4cents now....

Jan

In a message dated 4/6/2006 11:37:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,