Rescue Airway Techniques

HAXScott at aol.com HAXScott at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 17:51:54 BST 2006

Melissa,

I'm a paramedic, and while I empathize fully with some of your frustration,
I must respectfully disagree with several of your points.

The evidence surrounding paramedic-performed intubation in the field is
terrifying.

The debate isn't in whole about training and experience. Training  doesn't
always improve things - I have spent perhaps hundreds of hours in  my role
trying to "train" people how to perform BVM ventilation, and  more recently,
predict and manage and rescue the difficult and failed  airway. I'm sorry to say, I
still see hoover-bagging and rather tragic  approaches to capturing and
controlling the airway. I'm not alone in this  experience. By now I'm sure we've all
been exposed to, and are hopefully  intimately familiar with Gausche's 2000
publication of the results of the  California Pediatric Airway Study. As a
component of that study, an exceptional  training program, facilitated by
effective and expert faculty, was developed and  provided. Look where it got them. As
I have seen firsthand, some of the most  experienced clinicians are the most
arrogant and ignorant. A pervasion of the  mentality "Don't confuse me with the
facts, I know what I believe!" afflicts our  profession.

With regard to aspiration, I have to leave science behind and speculate: I
believe that emesis and aspiration are amongst the most under-reported
complications of airway management in the field, and it also occurs outside of  the
setting of cardiopulmonary arrest resuscitation attempts... and I would like
you to objectively back-up your statement on the effect of prehospital tracheal
 intubation upon patient morbidity and mortality, and show me ANY  evidence
(save for a study or two that looked at severe TBI and air  medical transport)
since ~1984 that supports that claim. If it takes  you a decade and you have
to embark on a great quest to find the evidence,  we'll all be better for it,
but, you may find on your journey that reality is  not what you strongly
believed in your heart to be true.

In my own institution, the members of our critical care transport service
face the same challenges you describe when you talk about your frustrating day
in the OR. We get 'skunked' in the OR too - it happens. However, we are
blessed  with individuals, including anesthesiologists, anesthesia residents, and
CRNA's,  who freely give their own time to share their experience, as well as
non-traditional airway experts, including a trauma surgeon who has taken a
particular interest in airway management who provide our team with important
learning experiences. We're looking at other ways of getting around the slim
pickking in the OR, including simulation - we have big plans to utilize
case-based training specifically related to airway management. This will allow  us to
let team members play out, in real time, various cases, some of them rare  in
actual clinical practice, not only practice and develop airway management
skills, but foster team-building and crisis resource management ability...

The future of airway management in the field here in the US? Things have to
change. People are dying needlessly. Some systems do exceptionally well.
Others  don't. What do I see in common amongst the programs that do well that I
know of? Good people on the streets, with involved medical directors, supportive
 EM physicians, and strong PI systems in place.

My personal predictions: Urban systems with rapid transport? No tracheal
intubation. Supraglottic devices will be used in crash airways (eg codes). A
responder with RSI, surgical airway skills, etc would be available when needed,
but, the majority of responders will not be intubating. Suburban and rural
systems? Certainly these are places where tracheal intubation may have an
important role in the field, and those places with long transport times are
perhaps the places that may see actual benefit from  pre-hospital RSI. As I stare
into my crystal ball, a dichotomy emerges - look at  the environment the
majority of the major recent studies of out-of-hospital  tracheal intubation take
place.

Of course there are paramedics who have exceptionally good airway  management
abilities. I know emergency medicine physicians who are exceptionally  good
airway managers. I know anesthesiologists and anesthetists and flight  nurses
and flight paramedics and respiratory therapists and hospitalists and
intensivists and pediatricians who are "good" airway managers - and I know MANY
people in every specialty - anesthesia included - who I wouldn't want near my
throat with a laryngoscope and tracheal tube even if I were gasping and purple.
The problem is a number of "good" and "really good" people in a given
profession  doesn't make up for one poor performer - and there are too many people who
haven't, and perhaps can't - develop reasonable mastery of these most
important  skills.

Perhaps the time is coming for an airway listserve, seeing the amount of
passion and interest the original query has generated.

In a message dated 4/6/2006 8:53:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,